In the months following his initial MRI, Kyle envisioned an organization that could help people facing neurological challenges connect with others in the outdoors while helping one another through their new post-diagnosis lives. He pulled together a diverse group of people from around Colorado to make his vision a reality.
Since January, we have been meeting regulary to define our vision, mission, values, and by-laws that govern our organization. We have also formed volunteer committees to focus in areas of finance, organizational development, and marketing.
On this journey, we reached a major waypoint last night. We held our first official board meeting at Cantina Laredo in Boulder to vote on our organization's name, affirm board members, and elect an executive committee. Being a part of any company's start up always has defining moments that are funny, exciting, and moving. Last night was all of those things. Funny because we are office-less and meeting in a Mexican restaurant, opening the meeting with each board member's favorite joke, and "knighting" our new officers with steak knives. It was exciting because we finally agreed on our name - Outdoor Mindset, approved our by-laws, affirmed our board of 12 members, and voted on the plan for phase 1 of our website. But most of all, last night was moving because we got to see Kyle's vision and all of our hard work shape up into something very real.
We know that our work has only just begun and are excited to share our journey with you. And so, without further ado...
OUR DREAM SUMMIT/BIG FISH/POWDER DAY:
An active community of individuals affected by neurological challenges leading adventurous lives with no limits.
We unite and inspire people affected by neurological challenges to live big through a common passion for outdoor adventure.
- Cultivating an online community that connects people based on their diagnosis and outdoor interests.
- Promoting a support network that encourages sharing experiences, resources, and information.
- Supporting regional events and adventure programs to strengthen connections and encourage healing of the body, mind and spirit.
- Quality of life - we believe in living our best lives, connecting with the outdoors and finding opportunity in adversity
- Proactiveness - we believe in taking initiative, staying informed and creating change
- Community - we believe in an open-minded environment where we learn from and support each other
- Inspiration - we live and work in a way that promotes optimism, creativity and fun
- Accountability - we believe in taking ownership of our lives
- Integrity - we believe in honesty, ethics and transparency
- Passion - we exude energy and enthusiasm, and play hard
- Humor - we believe laughter is the best medicine